Im a web/graphic designer with a background in development and all round webby/geeky stuff. I enjoy mountain biking, climbing and skiing.
I graduated (with a 1st class hons) in computing from The University of Newcastle Upon Tyne in 2007, since then i've been working as a Web Designer/Developer (minus the eight months I spent travelling).
This website is built with two things in mind:
• Show off some of my lovely work
• Encourage people to employ me to do more lovely work!
It's built using PHP with a MySQL Database on the back end. It's fully bespoke - no out of the box CMS. I've used Photoshop for all the graphics, JQuery for the fancy animated bits and CSS for all the styling. CSS3 is used sporadically, although i'm waiting for more browser support before fully converting!
• Accessibility. It's hard enough getting visitors onto your site as it is - making a site universally accessible is critical. This site has valid HTML, minimal images, clear navigation and alternative text for images to name a few of the features.
• Usability I've stuck to the K.I.S.S principle - Keep It Simple Stupid! Plenty of whitespace, simple navigation and no unnecessary wording.
• Minimal Graphics No one likes a slow loading website
• Static Text. Allowing easy resize of text and translation not to mention excellent search engine optimisation (SEO) benefits and easily updated.